Monday, May 14, 2012

Anemia. It's lame.

There is a particular type of muscle exhaustion that comes with having severe anemia. It's really hard to explain. Almost like your muscles are ready to give out on you. You can feel it in your heart. And I don't mean metaphorically. I mean literally. Your heart feels so worn out. I do not recommend it.

I work on the 2nd floor of our building, so I refuse to take the elevator unless my hands are so full that opening doors would require circus act capabilities. Sometimes I regret this. Those times are when my hamstrings and quads are saying, gee lady, if we had enough red blood cells for energy, this would be so much easier! It's just one floor, but it reminds me how difficult it can be to get back to great health when you've been sick for so long. In a way it's very humbling. Truth be told though I'd rather be humbled in some less concerning way.

Since I've changed my diet, I have not needed to take as much iron as I used to. This is fantastic for my bank account. The iron I take is not that little black/brown pill they prescribe that makes it impossible to poop for a couple weeks but has a tiny price tag. I take a liquid iron and it's not cheap. I still have not found the proper number of days I need to take it though. As you can imagine, I'd rather not overdose on iron either. I used to have to take it every single day of my life. If I missed a couple days, I noticed and paid for it with not being as active as I otherwise would have liked to be. I thought that would be the rest of my life. Take iron or no walks in the park! Yet another reason I'm grateful for having found Paleo.

I have no clear end point in my mind for this post. So I guess then this is the end of the post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment